Responsible investing is referred to as a "megatrend" in the financial world. Enterprises increasingly build their value on the basis of the idea of the ESG (environmental, social and governance) indicators. Furthermore, investment companies are more and more willing to use ESG scores to manage portfolios.
The effective combination of quantitative methods and non-financial (alternative) data allows for the verification of the suitability of ESG criteria in the investment process.
The AI IN ESG INVESTING is the first competition of this kind in Europe, consisting in building an ESG index based on financial, non-financial and alternative data, as well as assessing the effectiveness of using ESG criteria in the investment process.
The competition is dedicated to students from Poland and CEE Region (faculties: economics, finance and accounting, quantitative methods, management). Each team consists of 2 to 4 people. The competition is conducted in
AI in ESG Investing. The task
The teams’ task is both to create an ESG index based on financial, non-financial and alternative data and to evaluate the effectiveness of using ESG criteria in the investment process.
1. The data and indicator that are the result of the project relate to the ESG components: environment, social responsibility and corporate governance
2. The uniqueness of the data sets and the proposed approach to the analyses used in the task will be particularly important in the evaluation process
3. The solution should be adapted to the analytical process.
Competition Awards. The best teams
Join our competition and win attractive awards for the best teams! The best three teams will be awarded:
1. The winning team receives 4000 EUR and will be invited to join a dedicated webinar as panelists. In addition, our competition partners are going to offer internships for team members. The best task solution will be awarded with a short publication on Internet.
2. The second place team receives 2000 EUR + an internship offer by our partners
3. The third place team receives 1000 EUR + an internship offer by our partners
How to apply
Register YOUR team. APPLY: firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team will contact you after your notification.
We ask you to download rules of the AI IN ESG INVESTING and ESG report (an introduction to ESG). Documents are available in Polish and English.
The Rules and Conditions of Participation (Polish) Download »
The Rules and Conditions of Participation (English) Download »
ESG Report (Introduction in Polish) Download »
ESG Report (Introduction in English) Download »
Because of COVID-19 pandemic the AI in ESG Investing will be held online.
January 19, 2021 — Registration for student teams is open
March 4, 2021 — Deadline for teams' registration (apply: email@example.com)
March 5 till April 6, 2021 — Preparing and sending reports
April 6 till April 15, 2021 — Assessment
April 15, 2021 — Winners Announcement
April 16, 2021 — Handing over of the 2nd task
April 16 till May 09, 2021 — Preparation and sending of the report
May 09 till May 17, 2021 — Assessment
May 18, 2021 — Winners Announcement
May 28, 2021 — Presentations and award ceremony
During The Final, the best 6 teams present their solutions to the evaluation committee.
1. OECD Business and Finance Outlook 2020, Sustainable and Resilient Finance. Check details »
You will find out:
What is ESG, ESG factors, ESG metrics, ESG strategies, Methods and tools to evaluate ESG criteria
2. CFA Institute: guidance and case studies for ESG integration: equities and fixed income. Check details »
You will find out:
What is ESG, examples of Data sources, ESG Issues, multiple cases
3. Measuring Stakeholder Capitalism Towards Common Metrics and Consistent Reporting of Sustainable Value Creation. Check details »
A very detailed overview of different ESG factors
4. ESG investment opportunities and Risks for Asia (Chapter 5). Check details »
Optimal Portfolio Selection for Environmental, Social, and Governance Investment
5. Overview of the ESG Ratings. Check details »
6. The Construction of Environmental Indicators for Determination of Performance of ESG Indicators to Support Decision-Making of Investors. Check details »
7. How can a passive investor be a responsible investor? Check details »
You will find out:
Examples of ESG indexes construction
8. ESG index construction. Check details »
Other free resources:
3. https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/13/5/1179 (Modelling the daily returns of the ESG index)
Find out more about
CFA Society Poland and QuantFin Foundation
CFA Society Poland was established in 2004 and is one of 157 member societies of CFA Institute. The organisation is present in 70 countries or territories and gathers over 185,000 finance professionals in 164 countries. The Society promotes the highest ethical standards in Polish investment community. CFA Society Poland gathers professionals involved in broadly defined investment and financial management. This group includes portfolio managers, financial analysts, investment advisors, risk managers and many other finance professionals. CFA Society Poland has successfully supported CFA charterholders and candidates for almost 10 years.
QuantFin – Foundation for Professional Development in Quantitative Finance was established in 2012 in response to the challenges of quantitative approach towards financial markets. The Foundation popularizes and takes an active part in enhancing the use of quantitative methods, data science in research, digital economy and risk management.
The Foundation aims to provide a platform for ambitious students of mathematical, physical, quantitive methods and IT to develop interest and support their search for the best workplace. QuantFin Foundation are:
• an experienced team from the world of business and academic society
• 100+ organised events
• 25 world-renowned partners
• cooperation with top universities